History of the Excavations
The story of the Satricum excavations takes us back to the year 1896 when a Frenchman, Hector Graillot, discovered the remains of the temple dedicated to the goddess Mater Matuta on a hillside near the village of Le Ferriere and for the next two years carried out extensive excavations under the guidance of a team of Italian archaeologists. Many remains were unearthed and entrusted to the Villa Giulia Museum in Rome.
Nothing further was done until 1907-1910 when excavation work was undertaken again. Around 1975, Latium’s Committee for Archaeology invited the Dutch Institute of Rome to take up the excavations at the Satricum site.
The Dutch team’s most significant find in their twenty-five year dig was that of the Lapis Satricanus or Stone of Satricum, a stone slab, probably the base of a column, inscribed in ancient Latin and dating from between 525-500 B.C.
Since 1990 the excavation work at the site has been carried out by a team from the University of Amsterdam, headed by Professor Marijke Gnade.